As PR ploys go, coming up with the longest name for an Anglesey Village in the 19th century was a good ploy -
Llanfair PG (for short) has certainly been pulling in the visitors ever since! The name means 'St Mary's Church in the Hollow of the White Hazel near a Rapid Whirlpool and the Church of St Tysilio near the Red Cave'. Lets hope this all doesn't backfire, and start to irritate!? No sign yet, as visitors flock to the village especially in peak summer season, and collect their railway ticket from Llanfair's station as a souvenir. It's listed in the Guiness book of records for the longest name, and is now shouting about having the longest web domain name. Jolly good.
The village's main appeal is as a gateway to Anglesey, and a superb centre for information on the island. The TIC centre is conveniently located just over the Menai Straits via Britannia Bridge. Attractions in the village itself include the railway station, dating from 1845 (yes, it is the railway station in existence with the longest name!), James Pringle Weavers adjacent to the old station house, and the Marquess of Anglesey's Column. Numerous family holiday attractions are also located nearby, making Llanfair PG a good base for families.
A popular family attraction Anglesey's model village near Llanfair PG makes for a great day out. Follow the rainbow signs off the A4080. This model village occupies about one acre of landscaped gardens, and mini buildings within the model village are notable North Wales sites including ancient Anglesey sites and Anglesey village buildings like Llynnon Mill. Everything is to scale - quite a lot of skill goes into these model mini villages and it's easy to miss these. A favourite with the kids, well worth a jaunt. Anglesey Model Village, Newborough, Anglesey TEL: 01248 440477.
Note the Marquess of Anglesey's Column in the village, erected in memory to the Marquess who was Wellington's top guy in the Battle of Waterloo - he lost his leg as the battle drew to a close. Thomas Harrison of Chester designed the Column and visitors can climb to the top of the monument and enjoy panoramic views of Snowdonia. The surrounding area around the column is also of interest (visit in spring to see the bluebell wood). The site was once an ancient hillfort. Check the Llanfair PG Village Guide website right for more details on local attractions.
Foel Farm Park, Foel Farm, Brynsiencyn, Llanfair PG, LL61 6TQ. Tel: 01248 430646. See weblink right for full details. Llanfair PG Station is a stop on the main Bangor to Holyhead mainline, so easily reached by train from the mainland.
Anglesey Sea Zoo, Brynsiencyn, Llanfair PG, LL61 6TQ. Tel: 01248 430411. See weblink right for full details.
Llanfair PG Tourist Information Centre, Station Site, Llanfairpwllgwyngyll, Isle of Anglesey, LL61 5UJ. Tel: + 44 (0)1248 713177.
The Tourist Info Centre at Llanfair PG is unofficially recognised as the gateway into Anglesey - well worth stopping in here before you branch out into the rest of Anglesey (it's only just over the Britannia Bridge). Lots of useful Anglesey information guides (many of which are free).